4-Inch Submersible Motors
The Franklin 4-inch Super Stainless motor has been the driving force behind residential and light commercial submersible pumps for decades. Designed and patented in 1950 by our founder, Ed Schaefer, this motor has proven to be the industry’s most trusted residential pump motor.
Franklin offers 4-inch motors in a full line of single- and three-phase voltages, frequencies, and application-specific models. Wherever there is an independent source of clean groundwater, you can find a Franklin motor.
Brochure and Leaflet
- Corrosion-resistant stainless steel exterior
- Stainless steel splined shaft
- Hermetically-sealed windings
- StatorShield™ resin system
- Filter check valve
- Water lubrication
- Kingsbury-type thrust bearing
- Pressure-equalizing diaphragm
- Built-in lightning arrestors (All single-phase; 200 & 300 V three-phase)
- Removable water bloc lead
- Franklin-manufactured control boxes available for single-phase motors
- UL 778 recognized (North American voltages)
- CSA certified
- ANSI/NSF 61 certified
- Industry standard NEMA mounting dimensions
- Flow inducer sleeve not required in water up to 86 °F (30 °C) for motors through 2 hp.
- Two-wire motors are split-phase designs with integral starting components and do not require a control box. They feature Franklin’s patented 2-wire BIAC starting switch which provides Reverse Impact Torque to aid starting in adverse environments and prevents extreme fast cycling (e.g. water logged tank).
- Three-wire motors through 1 hp use Franklin’s exclusive three-wire QD (Quick Disconnect) Control Box with the patented QD Relay. This relay provides the ultimate in operational life.
- Single-phase motors can be used with Pumptec products to protect against dry-run and other installation conditions that can damage motors and/or pumps. See Single-phase Protection Devices for details.
Constant Pressure Options
- Use Franklin’s MonoDrive controller with 11⁄2 hp three-wire single-phase motors to provide constant water pressure.
- Three-phase motors can be used with SubDrive controllers to provide constant water pressure.
Pollution Recovery Option
- Pollution Recovery motors are equipped for use in monitoring and recovery wells in which hydrocarbons and other chemicals may be present.
- Special Viton® rubber parts and other chemical resistant materials as listed in Construction Materials chart.
- These motors are built for dependable operation in 4” diameter or larger water wells.